ST. PETER’S LIBRARY
1. Librarian: Dr. Gerard Pushparaj C.
2. Mr. Pathi Raj R., M.A.
3. Mr. James P., Dip. in Computer
4. Mr. Lourdusamy R.
1) Silence is an essential condition for working in the library. Readers must conduct themselves in an orderly manner at all times while in the library premises and must not behave in any way likely to disturb other readers. Silence must be strictly observed inside the library.
2) Working Hours : 8.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.
: 1.30 p.m. - 7.00 p.m.
3) Working System
Requisition slips received : 8.00 a.m. -12.00 noon
Books issued : 1.30 p.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Books received back : 8.00 a.m. - 8.45 a.m.
1.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m.
Issued to outside students : Tues. and Fri. only
(12.50 p.m. - 1.00 p.m.)
Issued to residents : 6.30 p.m. - 6.45 p.m.
4) Identity Cards with filled-in Requisition Slips is compulsory for checking out books. A book is issued for a period of 14 days and it may be re-issued once, provided no one else demands it. If the book is not returned on the due date a fine of Rs. 2/- per day will be collected. All books should be returned before the commencement of vacations.
5) One has to use only one’s own Identity Card. Those who lend their card to others forfeit their right over it. The library staff has the right to refuse issuing a book on doubt of identity.
6) General reference books, reserved books, dissertations are not issued out.
7) New arrivals are issued on Mondays; Periodicals and class references are issued for over night study only. If they are not returned on time Rs. 5.00 will be collected per day.
8) Access to the Library Stacks
Only III year Theologians and II year Philosophers in view of the preparation of bibliography for their dissertations are allowed to enter the stack section from 8.00 – 9.00; 5.15 - 6.15 p.m. on working days. The non-residential students of III year Theologians and II year Philosophers can go to the stack section in the afternoon, when they come for class. On Thursdays permission is given from 9.00 a.m. – 12.30 p.m.. The Post-gratuate students are allowed to enter the stack section from 8.00 - 9.00 a.m.; 1.30 - 6.30 p.m. on working days and from 9.00 - 12.30; 1.30 - 6.30 p.m. on Thursdays. Before entering the stack-rooms, one has to enter his/her name and other details in the Register kept for that purpose. After consulting the books on the shelves, the books have to be kept back in the table nearby. Remember that a misplaced book is almost a lost book. No one is allowed to take the books out of the stacks by oneself. Books are issued only by the Library Staff at the request of the students through the filled-in requisition slips.
9) Reference Section: Books and periodicals taken from the Reference and Reading rooms have to be placed in the table nearby.
10) Personal books, files and other belongings are not to be taken into the library. They are to be left at the counter. Only papers and writing materials are allowed into the reading, reference and stack rooms.
11) Utmost care must be taken of all books, periodicals and other materials in the library’s collection. Stealing or damaging of library books is a crime. Cutting off pages or pictures, writing or marking on any book etc., are serious offences. Readers who wilfully damage library material will be suspended and may be prevented from using the library in future.
12) Photocopying services are available in the campus.
Office and Library Holidays
Holidays : All Sundays of the year
Jan. 26 : Republic Day
Holy Week : Last 3 days
April 25-May 24 : Summer Holidays
June 29 : Sts. Peter & Paul
August 15 : Independence Day
September 8 : Nativity of the B. V. M.
November 9 : Institute Day
Dec. 22 – Jan. 1 : Christmas Holidays
With the generous financial assistance of the Paris Foreign Mission Society (MEP), our Institute has been able to establish a good Archives Section. Besides a valuable collection of original documents dating from the 18th century, we have also the microfilms of the records (more than 30,000 pages) preserved in the MEP Archives, Paris. Our Archives Department is equipped with a Microfilm Scanner / Reader/ Printer together with a good computer data -base on the MEP Missions in Pondicherry - Bangalore Ecclesiastical Provinces.